Summa, summa, summatime...
Summatime, summatime, sum, sum, summatime...
We all know a song that reminds us of summertime. The long hot days where you thought you might burst from the heat (my personal fave), or not knowing what time it is because the sun would never go down, or you swear it doesn't go down until 10:30 at night.
Then, there's those great dinners out where you can sit on a restaurant patio with good friends and dine sufficiently and look up and realize it's a clear night and you can see every star in the sky.
I'm sure there is someone who's favorite season is not summer, but I don't know them.
Besides sitting in the sun and marveling at it's generous heat, grilling veggies is one of my favorite things to do! This recipe is simple, fast, and easy peasy! It also inspires me to eat more vegetables. I hope it does the same for you.
I like to grill the veggies at high heat (kind of like the same concept as stirfrying) so that it cooks to 'al dente'. That's just long enough to keep that snappiness to the vegetables and give it that smoky flavor that I'm in love with.
I have discovered that virtually any vegetable can be grilled. You should experiment with many different kinds too.
In the pic below are my favorite veggies that I grill often, but I'm not limited by them.
- (just enough) Olive Oil to coat your vegetables
- coarse salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- any vegetables you can imagine really ;o)
- Prepare your grill by going here and following steps 1 - 3. Just make sure you spread the coals at the bottom of the grill evenly.
- Cut up your vegetables and place them in a very large bowl.
- Coat the vegetables with REGULAR olive oil and toss (this prevents them from sticking onto the grates with the added bonus of health benefit from the oil).
- Season with salt and pepper (and I recommend experimenting with your favorite spices!) and toss again with your hands.
- Add them to your grill and cook 1 - 2 min/side. This really depends on your degree for that charred taste.